Last updated: 19 June 2016
- We will collect as little personally identifiable information about you as possible, but you should remember that our websites are open and transparent for participants or the public.
- Once you have chosen to make an action on the website, through e-mail, via a text message or by participating in a related event, we cannot guarantee your anonymity.
- Registering means consenting to receive messages. Site owners, administrators and operators will send you updates, invitations and newsletters, through various channels. You can always opt out.
- Visiting means consenting to be tracked on our websites. We will share information with site owners or (to a limited extent) with other participants. We will also aggregate your data in various ways.
- Insights.US will NEVER sell your data for commercial purposes. Site owners are committed to use your data for the purpose it was given, but we cannot control their actions.
- We might use marketing technologies to approach you on other websites (like Facebook, Google and Twitter) with offers to participate in a project or launch one.
WHAT DATA IS COLLECTED
Your record has five types of information:
- Personal information you provide about yourself, such as your name, photo, phone numbers, job title or e-mail address;
- Personal Information provided by site owners or other users about you, such as your name, address, department or contact info;
- Your actions on the website, such as answers, supports, comments, actions performed, pages viewed, task executed etc.;
- Contents linked to your advice, such as highlights, insights, decisions and various interactions of users with your contents;
- System-generated information related to you, such as your impact, tasks performance, level of engagement or the way you use the website.
HOW DATA IS COLLECTED
There are three ways in which we collect information:
- Information provided by users about themselves or about other users, including personal information, answers, highlights, insights or decisions.
- Log files that include data about page visits, action committed, objects viewed, IP address, clicks, browser type and other data on your web request.
- Cookies and pixel tags that monitor user behavior, including referring pages and visit duration, either directly or through third parties (like Facebook or Google Analytics).
HOW YOUR DATA IS USED
Your information can be used by site owners for the following purposes:
- Messaging you about actions or events that happen on the website, like new projects, answers, supports, comments, insights and decisions.
- Creating an interest among users, groups or the general public, inside and outside the website, by sharing and publishing your content or the content of others.
- Facilitating inclusive decision making by enabling an open and collaborative platform for users to think together and curate insights together.
- Turning advice into actionable insights by allocating and performing analytical tasks and showing different contents to different users and audiences.
- Keeping you updated by messaging you on the long-term results of various projects or inviting you to take part in new projects that have been launched.
- Communicating various messages to any media outlet or any group of stakeholders via newsletters, campaigns, calls, social networks etc.
Your information can be used by Insights.US for the following purposes:
- To operate, improve and enrich our websites, algorithms and content, including the design of new features and the reformulation of existing ones.
- To create aggregative information that can be shared with other users, such as top users (by impact, usage or support), top answers or any other measurement.
- To enhance your user experience by, for instance, identifying you without a password, as well as shortening the registration and login process.
- To offer you to take part in projects on other websites, or offering you to launch your own insights website, either directly on a website or through other channels.
- To resolve a support request from you or from others, or handling cases where we believe that our terms & policies or any law or regulation have been violated.
- To comply with a valid legal subpoena or request by law enforcement agencies, or protecting our own rights, as defined under “Who Can Access Your Data” .
WHO CAN ACCESS YOUR DATA
We will never disclose your information to third-parties for marketing or promotional purposes, or for any other purpose other than defined in our terms & policies. We will also never share your information with other site owners other than the one you subscribed to. While we require site owners to do the same, we cannot be held responsible for their actions.
Your data is accessible in the following cases:
- Owners and administrators have full ownership of your record and can access all the information that exists on the website they manage;
- In public websites, ANYONE can view or share your information in the internet, but the level of access to your personal information is defined by site owners;
- In private websites, only registered users can view, copy or share your information, in accordance with the definitions set by site owners;
- Search engines can view, save and present any public information that is available to other users by crawling the website;
- Trusted providers we contract with to host our servers, send messages, process payments, improve performance etc. might access your data;
- We as site operators can also access your information.
WHO OWNS YOUR DATA
Site owners (who reached out to you through our technology). They can use your data for any purpose, as long as they comply with applicable laws and regulations. While Insights.US, as a site operator, requires site owners to commit themselves to use the data in accordance with our terms & policies, we cannot make any guarantee or take any responsibility on their actions. They are responsible for their actions.
The database of the site is protected by technology and standard operating procedures recognized in the field of information security. Nonetheless, it is impossible to completely prevent unauthorized access to the database. While we will take reasonable precautions to secure your data, you should not expect your data to be secured and protected. For instance, we cannot be held responsible for any criminal actions or illegal hacking of any kind.
WHO MIGHT GET YOUR DATA
- LEGAL PROCEEDINGS. We reserve the right to disclose your information if required to do so by law or a legal subpoena, or if you violate laws and regulations on the site, including defamation and impersonation.
- PROTECT OTHERS. We reserve the right to disclose your information if we believe in good faith that not doing so might put at risk the safety of the public, of a person or of a property. In such cases, we might initiate the disclosure of information.
- PROTECT US. We reserve the right to disclose your information if there is legal proceedings against Insights, its partners, licensors, employees, representatives or affiliates, or in a situation where we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and property.
- OTHER REASONS. We will disclose your information if we believe you breach our terms & policies, if there is a justified complaint against you or if you gave permission to share it.
WHERE IS YOUR DATA
Your data is hosted on Microsoft Azure servers, and governed by MSFT Online Subscription Agreement. You should know that your data is hosted on the certified server in the cloud, but we cannot control its physical location. If you are located outside the US, you are giving your consent to transfer information, including personal information, to a country that does not have the same data protection laws. In addition, Insights or one of our service providers (for sending emails or texts, for instance), may transfer, store and process your content in other locations.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
VISITING MEANS CONSENTING TO BE TRACKED. There is no easy way to say it. Sites like Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn track you over the internet. We do the same, and you should know that. We might track you via a hidden pixel on our website, or through your email address.
REGISTERING MEANS CONSENT TO RECEIVE MESSAGES. Once you register, you agree to receive messages from owners and administrators through emails, texts, letters, social networks, phone calls and other channels. You also give you consent to receive updates, invitations and newsletters from Insights.
YOU CAN ALWAYS OPT OUT. You can unsubscribe from website messages by clicking "unsubscribe" or emailing email@example.com. Your contact information will be saved to block future messages. However, there might be other insights websites or other channels your site owner uses, which you should unsubscribe from separately.
YOU CAN ALWAYS DELETE YOURSELF. Once you ask to delete yourself, we can make your entry “non-active" to prevent others from accessing your information. While we cannot delete your history on the website, we can delete your answers, comments and personal information, so that no-one will be able to identify you.
YOU CAN ASK WHAT WE HAVE. If you wish to review existing records of your answers or actions, you can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If we refuse to fulfill your request, we will explain why. If you believe that your record is incorrect or incomplete, you can correct, amend or delete it, and we will consider changing it, unless exceptional circumstances occur.
WHEN YOU INVITE A FRIEND. In public projects, we encourage you to invite a friend to advise the project. You will be asked to enter that person's contact information or transfer social network identifies. The information you provide will be stored on the website, and your friend will receive messages unless s/he asks to unsubscribe.
SHARING HAS INHERENT RISKS. Once you take an action on the website, as a participant, owner or administrator, there is no way back. You cannot control the contents, which might be edited, shared, deleted or changed. Search engines might track it and users might capture screenshots. All security measures are penetrable, even if your project is private. Please think twice before sharing sensitive data.